The discussion of disruptive innovation from this week’s lecture
and articles makes me wonder what type of company could be successful investing
in a disruptive innovation. The article on "Discussing New and Emergent
Markets" focuses on case studies in which disruptive innovation was
pursued successfully within a business but does not feature a standalone company pursuing disruptive technologies. In the articles, large companies like HP and Honda were featured.
An important caveat that was not emphasized enough in the articles is that disruptive innovation seems to only be something that is successful if it is part of a larger company that has other revenue streams.The disruptive innovation that was being pursued was in one area
of the business but did not represent the business in its entirety. The simulation
reinforced this idea as well. I found that when I focused on the disruptive
technology and made significant price changes to the core product, cumulative
profit plummeted and did not recover. Only when I maintained the sustainable
technology and increased price only when R+D investments were made in the
product was I able to grow the disruptive technology segment. In the cases mentioned, the
disruptive innovations being pursued were likely cost centers initially and
possibly indefinitely if the technology didn’t show profits eventually due to
poor strategic management. Essentially, I left feeling like not all companies
can participate in disruptive technologies because financially they can not
take on the risk.
This fact makes me think of two scenarios: how my future
employer is positioned and how Uber is positioned. My future employer has a
stable investment in their core business but is focused on growing a new
product line. The new product line has some synergies with the existing product
offerings but is much more regulated than the current product offerings. The
approach being taken is to grow that business by 50% over the next few years
yet there has been no discussion our how the existing, sustainable product is
being altered. The company has been doing extremely well financially due to a successful
acquisition but I also feel my impression of the company has not changed. They
remained focused on their core product while expanding offerings. I believe
that is key to adding disruptive technologies to one's portfolio while
maintaining the core business to support it.
Uber was discussed in class lectures but when I think about the
business, though it is unclear whether it is a disruptive technology, it has
spent a lot of time investing in disruptive technologies with its autonomous
vehicle business. Based on the articles read, it doesn’t seem like Uber is well
positioned to invest in disruptive technologies as its net income has been
negative or close to $0 for at least the last three years (Source: 2019 Uber
10-K). It will be interesting to see when the company can turn a profit and
sustain it but for now, it looks like Uber is not positioned to come out
financially solvent if the principles of disruptive technologies hold.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.