For this blog, I’d like to look out how the Porter’s Five
Forces and environmental factors affect Cigna, the company I will be joining
after graduation.
Cigna is interesting because it is
a mature company operating in a highly regulated industry which is B2B and B2C.
Global trends such as an aging population and increased disposal income have shaped
certain healthcare products they offer (ex. Medicare Advantage) but what has been
most interesting to track is how the recent elections have brought spotlight to
the healthcare insurance market. Bernie Sanders’ push for Medicare for All would
have great implications for a company like Cigna if the policy could go through
but planning for policy changes is exceptionally hard given how the political
system works in the United States. Political forces are important to consider but
I think its important to consider the likelihood of them being disruptive. Therefore
I agree with the point made in the piece from “Competitor Analysis: Understand
Your Opponents” that it is important to look at the strength of a given factor
and how it changes overtime. During an unpredictable election period, I would
imagine that Cigna revisits an environmental force like politics frequently to
determine its current threat.
In relation to Porter’s Five Forces which is
also mentioned in the “Competitor Analysis: Understand Your Opponents” excerpt
as well as the lecture, it is interesting to look at the threat of new entrants.
When I think about Cigna broadly and traditionally, I think about how new
entrants is not a big threat to the company due to the consolidation within the
industry, the difficulty to maintain margins and high regulatory barriers that
make it hard to set oneself up. I do not believe that firms in other industries
have a great chance of offering substitutes in the market but when people are
given options, which they aren’t always with health insurance, there is strong
competition among rivals.
I recall from a Cigna recruiting
event that the company wants to be viewed as a health service company, rather than
a health insurance company which directly relates to the question of “which industry
do you operate in?” In defining themselves this way, the Porter’s Five Forces
now look different because they are competing with Pharmacy Benefit Management
due to their Express Scripts division, for example and offering of insurance
services abroad. This makes me think that it would be helpful for a company to
use several Five Forces Models which roll up to an overarching one to remain
organized.
Finally, I agree with the idea from
McKinsey’s article on “The Global Forces Inspiring a New Narrative of Progress”
that while globalization has occurred, localization is important for being
effective in a new market. Cigna’s largest non-US market for membership is
South Korea. Offering Cigna there would be much different than in a setting
where large health insurers offering private insurance is commonplace, such as
in the United States. This difference is
something that would justify why an individual Five Forces Model for international
offerings would be helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.