I found the BCG article “Twelve Forces That Will Radically
Change How Organizations Work” very comprehensive and complete in how it covers
various aspects an organization should look into for its future strategy. It
even touched upon wellbeing and purpose which are intangible factors often
overlooked. I was born and raised in different steel cities of India and after reading
the article, I was intrigued at how steel industries are planning their future
strategy. The reason I was intrigued was because steel (or rather mechanical)
industries are different in their operation, organization structure and technology.
I could not directly relate the article I read to this industry even though I have
grown up observing this industry (from afar though) and spent 2 months
interning in the Information Technology Division within the industry. I
interviewed my father, who has spent close to 40 years in this industry to
understand what is happening and here are some of the pros and cons I could get
along the lines of future strategy. In class, we exchanged the importance of
process improvement after the Back Bay Battery Simulation. Given how the demand
for steel has risen and fallen cyclically over the years, process improvement
to reduce costs has been key for steel plants. Steel organizations are
different in India because it still is one of those industries where the Gen Z
and the millennials have not captured much of the workforce and a significant
part of why the organization is doing well comes from the Baby Boomers and
their experience. Employee retention is not a very big issue because steel
companies in India have been one of those job providers who emphasize on job
security, employee wellness and purpose, innovation, automation and many more
forces that the article talks about. What I could understand about what these
companies do to survive through the steel glut is that they focus on two things
– differentiating their product by producing a special kind of steel whose
market is not so threatened by competitors, and constantly innovating and
automating their processes for improvement. To cite examples, Bhilai Steel Plant,
India was relatively more profitable because it manufactures rail tracks whose
market did not get so threatened during the steel glut in the last decade.
Essar steel is one of the few plants that is home to all three kinds of steel
production processes in the world. Therefore, their strategy of survival has
more room for leeway even if one of the processes get affected by policy
changes or inflation. I was genuinely impressed with the interview response I
received. I wasn’t expecting many points in the article to have been covered by
the steel industry.
Innovation in the steel industry has reached the level of
using the newest methods in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics. However, I
see that happening on the mechanical and hardware front. During my time interning
there, I noticed that software is looked upon just as a commodity for everyday
use and the other side of it has not been exploited because steel industries
are still not viewed as the best place to work by the Gen X software
professionals in India. As a result, the industry, at least in India, does not
seem to be using Data Analytics for operations, supply chain and process
improvement, which could benefit them greatly in reducing costs that are not
just focused on production. While the BCG article can be applied to most of the
corporate companies, the steel industry in India is a bit different in the way
it is structured and run. It is a lot more siloed and distant from imbibing
software. One of the reasons I have noticed is that there is a personality
difference and contrasting work ethics between the professionals in the steel and
software industry. However, I see a lot of merit in both category of professionals
to join forces for a much more comprehensive and stable future strategy.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.