Sunday, June 19, 2016

Unclear Strategy Statement - my "Aha Moment."

The article "Can You Say What Your Strategy Is?" explains my work-life. 

I’ve got my objective: to be a regional tourism destination. Great. Now how do I get us there?  

The analogy of the metal shavings haphazardly lying about, then the magnet passes over, now they’re all standing at attention - in alignment – really spoke to me.  

This is my experience in my current position.  I’ve been struggling to get all my ‘rowers’ going in the same direction.   Over the past year or so, I’ve had moments where I seriously questioned what some of my staff and board members were thinking.   Now, to be fair, after consideration, I usually find it’s my fault: I’m not as clear as I think I am.  It was recently brought to my attention that, in fact, most people cannot read my mind.  And as frustrating as that is to acknowledge, I recognize the need to better clarify the message to ensure understanding. 

This, in the famous words of Oprah, was my “aha” moment.  I have my Objective, my BHAG.  I refer to my BHAG often.  But I have yet to develop the second and third aspects of my strategy statement – the Scope, and the Advantage.  I’ve got a nice swirly grey brain-cloud regarding the scope and the advantage, but I realize a big reason for my ‘angst and struggle’ with focused alignment stems from not clearly defining these other two crucial parts of the plan.  And I’m completely guilty of not simply, clearly, and succinctly communicating that strategy to my team – both Board and staffers. 

I find that when reading a particularly insightful HBR article I scribble notes on how I can internalize then apply that insight in my current position.  This is one of those articles.

Below are some of my scribbled questions that popped up from these article:
  • ·      Can scope be considered a description of what my objective looks like - as in a list of things that will help attain the Objective? And I feel like I should convert these ‘what this looks like’ into SMarT goals – The Edward Jones example was crystal clear with the SMT.  

  • ·      In my particular situation, I run two businesses, a for-profit (the Distillery), and a non-profit that encompasses three different-yet-integrated departments to manage:  The Museum (which comes with so many ethical obligations), the facility rentals – and the Village shops.  From a visitor’s perspective, the all departments as well as the distillery will be experienced as a whole – I’m betting on the Gestalt theory for the Advantage.  Is that enough?  I’m a bit confused as to how to frame the value proposition for this.   

  • ·      And back to my Objective - the article speaks to making a choice between growth or profit – with regard to my particular situation, I need both growth and profit: growth from the Non-Profit and profit from the Distillery.  How to reconcile this?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.