Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Building Your Company’s Vision- Sarah Thomas

James C. Collins and Jerry I. Porras do a great job of highlighting the importance of defining a corporate vision in the article, “Building Your Company’s Vision”. They describe a company’s vision as having two parts, core ideology and envisioned future. This delineation allowed me to get a better understanding of how to begin interpreting a company’s vision. I agree that the core values and core purpose are much different than and organizations vivid future description and big hairy audacious goals. Understanding a company’s vision will allow you to get a better sense of whether or not you would be a cultural fit in that organization. Moreover, if you are starting up your own company it is vital to have a well defined vision. This will help ensure that your company endures and stays true to its founding principals.
In reading this article it became very clear that a company’s vision is multi-faceted. I liked how the authors described in depth the differences between core values and core purpose. I agree that core values are a set of principles that endure, while core purpose is the organizations reason for being. Understanding a company’s vision is extremely important as you begin to search for potential employers. By understanding their core ideology, it will become increasingly clear as to whether or not you will be a cultural fit for that organization.
It is equally as important to understand the organizations envisioned future. Carefully evaluating their vivid future description and big hairy audacious goals will allow you to align yourself with likeminded individuals who will support your goals and help nurture your career.
In my past I made the decision to work for a company that did not have a well defined vision. Ultimately, I found myself working for individuals who did not share the same values and ethics as me. It became very clear that this organizations ideology and future goals were not in alignment with mine. I wanted to work hard and execute on behalf of this employer, while simultaneously developing my managerial skills. However, their main goals were centered around gaining market share at whatever cost. They did not have a well defined identity and as a result I was stuck working for people who I did not trust.

Ultimately, after reading this article I have a better understanding of why a corporate vision is so important. Not only does it define as a company’s values and purpose but it allows individuals to understand what their future goals and aspirations are as well. Moving forward, whether I am searching for potential employers or starting up my own company I will be sure to have a thorough understanding of the company’s vision. Additionally, leveraging techniques like the “5 why’s” and the “Mars group” is a great way for entrepreneurs and employers to define their vision and ensure they attract compatible employees as well. This way they are not investing money into employees who are not a fit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.