Sunday, April 26, 2015

Strategies can't always be quantified.



In reading the article “Bringing Science to the Art of Strategy”, it really hit home. We are now in a time where we are consumed with data and science. Big data, so much data we don’t even know what to do with it all.

I am surrounded by data daily, attending school at CMU and in my career in software engineering, it is part of my career and schooling to analyze data for business needs. I know that in my career, sometimes data is too heavily weighed when looking at the foundations of our business and when developing new processes and a strategy.

I really liked the “Seven Steps to Strategy Making” as it incorporates the science with the conventional methods of developing a strategy. I plan to take this with me into my everyday work and apply this as we are currently working to build a new strategy and culture to counteract the high attrition rate that we currently have.

In looking at my current business problem in line with the seven steps, it has made me more aware and aligned to help our team present a strong strategic position. We are early on in our plan and these steps show us that; we need to turn out issue into choices and also start with establishing possibilities. Right now there is a push to pull data, data, and data. Then, when we get this large dump of data, we need to analyze it into various ways to help us determine what the root cause of our attrition rate is. Do I disagree with the push for data, absolutely not. I do think that this should be combined with the conventional method. 

In my specific situation, I feel that data alone does not tell the whole story and should not be the dominate method for developing a strategy. We are looking at why people are deciding to leave the organization. This involves opinions, emotions, and dynamic responses; information that cannot be easily quantified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.