Sunday, March 29, 2015

Takeaways from the City of Charlotte case study


I found the information shared in the City of Charlotte Harvard Business School case study to be immediately applicable for an employment opportunity that I am considering as I was recently approached by a small start-up consultancy to head up their Mulesoft (an API Management tool) consulting practice.  During my last call with the firm's CEO we discussed his strategic objectives in establishing the Mulesoft practice and my action item from the conversation is to articulate my vision for achieving his objectives.

After reading the City of Charlotte case study I realized that I could effectively develop and communicate my plan of action by creating a balanced scorecard for the practice.  The process of creating the BSC will force me to think through my strategic goals for the practice and will help me to identify effective ways of measuring my practice’s progress toward achieving those goals.  I will develop a strategy for growing the practice over the next five years and define the tactical initiatives required to realize the strategy.

As part of the strategy I will also create a vision of what the practice will look like in the next 5 years, setting a BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) as the inspirational target.  Each tactical initiative will be clearly linked to my overall strategy for growing the practice with key measures for tracking the progress of the program.  The clear linkage of strategy with practice objectives, tactics and measures will tell a cohesive story of my plan and the practice’s journey for growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.