Tuesday, March 31, 2015

About the "Ten IT-enabled business trends for the decade ahead"


The article "Ten IT-enabled business trends for the decade ahead" published by McKinsey & Company is truly insightful and dead on. Of the ten trends outlined in the article, each one is impacting the work I do every day and below are just a few examples.

"Joining the Social Matrix"
My firm, Accenture, is a huge advocate of social technologies. We are constantly encouraged to use one of the many social communication tools available to us in our everyday work. From Instant Messaging clients to an internal microblogging site and even an internal version of LinkedIn we have just about every type of social collaboration tool available to us. As someone who never got into twitter, the value of the microblogging site is a bit lost on me though it is heavily used by others within the firm. However, I can say that I use the IM tool as often as I can. It is definitely my preferred means of communication. This could partly be due to the fact that I grew up using IM clients like AOL and later AIM. It provides me with instant access to my colleagues in a way that boosts my productivity and I find invaluable.


“Competing with ‘big data’ and advanced analytics”
Big Data and advanced Analytics impact me because combined they represent a major growth area for our consulting practice.  More and more enterprises are leveraging the power of big data and analytics to gain better insight into their businesses and customers and using this insight to craft their competitive strategies.  I recently referred a fellow CMU student into our Digital Analytics practice and he was hired within a month.  While this may not seem fast, given my firm this is amazingly quick.  I myself went through a protracted 3 month process and was brought in at the same level as this other individual. The need for skilled resources in this domain is real and is not showing any signs of stagnating any time soon.

“Deploying the Internet of All Things”
The internet of all things and more specifically, the quantified self are realities for my current project team.  Not only does just about everyone on the team have some sort of fitness telemetry device (think Fitbit or fuelband) for quantifying their own data but the environment we work in is constantly tracking and measuring our activities too.  One specific example of how this network of sensors is helping improve our service delivery is through the way finding on my client’s main campus.  There they have RFID enabled patient IDs that interact with strategically located kiosks to provide dynamic directions to patients helping them get from the exam room to the lab for example.  Our client has many different locations, some with multiple floors with tens of thousands of square feet each.  Navigating this facility can be challenging especially if you visit it infrequently.  Thankfully, they have the wayfinding system that can track who a patient is, where the patient needs to be (based on appointment data in the Electronic Medical Records system) and provide dynamically generated directions for how to get there.  Simply walk up to a kiosk, tap your badge and it will tell you where you need to go and how to get there.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.