The late John Gardner wrote extensively about leadership and organizations, including the need for "regenerative forces" in business. Gardner's analysis complements Nunes and Breene's writing. His understanding of the purposes of renewal included:
- Reinterpreting values that have been corroded or abandoned, and generating new values
- Update old procedures and habits
- Re-energize forgotten goals and generate new goals for new circumstances
- Release human potential through education and constant efforts to improve understanding
As for steps that leaders can take to renew their organizations, Gardner suggests the following:
- Develop employees, and give them the space to use their talents and energies
- Reassign personnel to avoid internal divisions and monotony
- Listen to other opinions and dissent to avoid groupthink and consider new directions
- Communicate within the organization and with constituents to stay in touch
What organizations seem to be the best at reinvention? The worst?
John Gardner, On Leadership, The Free Press, 1990, pages 121-130.
Kelly Hodgkins, "Apple's PC market share now up to 12% in US, reports state," Tuaw, 12 July 2012, http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/12/apples-pc-market-share-now-up-to-12-in-us-reports-state/ (accessed 27 March 2013).